Speaker of the House Mitch McConnell called for a procedural vote for cloture in the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Judicial Court. As expected, the results were split 51/49 along party lines.
The “cloture rule” or Rule 22 is a means with which the majority party can prevent a filibuster. If cloture is affirmatively applied, the issue can be granted up to 30 additional hours for discussion before the call for a floor vote is made.
The floor vote could happen as soon as tomorrow. NMC will bring updates as this story continues to develop.
- Middlebury administrators abandon liberal arts tradition, shut down Ryszard Legutko speech — but one political science class rises to the occasion - April 18, 2019
- Who is safeguarding our Liberty? - April 7, 2019
- Censorship…the enemy of Democracy - March 25, 2019
- Warning shot, or knockout punch - March 7, 2019
- Lets think outside the box - March 7, 2019