UKIP Welsh Assembly Member Mark Reckless is reportedly set to quit the party.
Reckless defected to UKIP from the Conservatives in 2014, winning the Rochester & Strood by-election shortly afterwards, but lost the seat in the 2015 General Election. Last year, Reckless became one of seven UKIP AMs elected to the Senedd and currently chairs the committee on climate change, environment and rural affairs.
Conservative Party sources say that he will leave UKIP and sit as an Independent, but will sit and vote with the Tory group. Other sources claim that a possible defection back to the Tories has been blocked.
Nigel Farage has speculated that Reckless’s friendship with Douglas Carswell, who last month left UKIP to sit as an Independent MP for Clacton-on-Sea, saying: “He is clearly close to Douglas Carswell. I guess some kind of pressure’s been put on him.” Farage also said that he “always liked Mark Reckless, but if he thinks he can just leave after being elected on a list system that is very dishonourable behaviour”.
- “UNCONSCIONABLE” – Krishna Maharaj’s 30-year battle for freedom NMC's Jack Oliver Smith speaks to human rights lawyer Clive Stafford-Smith about wrongly-imprisoned UK citizen - June 4, 2018
- How to Fix NVIDIA Installer failed issue in Windows 10 How to Fix NVIDIA Installer failed issue in Windows 10 - May 26, 2018
- “I thought there was a law against him dying” – celebrating the life of Sir Roger Moore NMC's Associate Editor reflects on the actor and humanitarian's life, one year after his death, and how it shaped his own - May 23, 2018
- SMITH’S SOAPBOX: Dear Mainstream Media, report things fairly and then you won’t have an uprising on your hands Also: is the Labour Party's anti-Semitism problems going to cost them power? - May 10, 2018
- SMITH’S SOAPBOX: Diane Abbott – the most moronic politician in Britain? - April 30, 2018