New UK Independence Party leader Henry Bolton has said that he will be “reverting” back to the party’s 2015 General Election manifesto, in which they gained approximately four million votes.
Bolton, speaking on BBC’s Daily Politics, said that he disagrees with the 2017 manifesto policy of a blanket ban on full length burkas, as well as former leader Paul Nuttall’s assessment that Islam was “a cancer”, commenting: “He’s using language that I wouldn’t.” Bolton also said that the topic of Islam “is not the core of UKIP by any means. Managed immigration certainly is.” Bolton criticised the 2017 manifesto further, commenting that the anti-Islam stance “certainly didn’t help,” and that it was “a badly-presented, badly-thought-through policy.” Bolton made clear his ambition to stamp his own brand of leadership, saying that the party must “have a broad suite of solutions. There’s no one issue we will hang our hat on.”
When asked about Anne-Marie Waters, who has formed her own party – For Britain – as well as her supporters, whom Bolton criticised during the leadership campaign, the new leader stated that: “the party’s constitution is quite clear – we will not be a party of prejudice against any group or individual based on religion, ethnicity or anything else.”
Bolton conceded that the party’s current membership number of “around 27,000” is “low”, but said “there is work to be done,” adding: “This enables a more defined identity for those people who are remaining within the party.”
Bolton also stated that he would stand as an MP in the next General Election.
Jack Oliver Smith is the Associate Editor of New Media Central. Follow him on Twitter @MisterJackSmith
- SMITH’S SOAPBOX: Nigel is back and not a moment too soon - August 18, 2018
- UKIP’s youth wing preparing for its biggest event yet #YIRevival conference announced for November 10th - August 17, 2018
- Guardian columnist calls on radio station to “dump” “far-right extremist” Farage - July 24, 2018
- “UNCONSCIONABLE” – Krishna Maharaj’s 30-year battle for freedom NMC's Jack Oliver Smith speaks to human rights lawyer Clive Stafford-Smith about wrongly-imprisoned UK citizen - June 4, 2018
- How to Fix NVIDIA Installer failed issue in Windows 10 How to Fix NVIDIA Installer failed issue in Windows 10 - May 26, 2018