David Kurten has returned as the UK Independence Party’s Education Spokesman, just one week after stepping down from the role.
Kurten, 46, made the decision to quit the post last week after new leader Henry Bolton chose to name Margot Parker as his deputy after promising the role to Kurten during the leadership contest in which the London AM came third.
The decision was met with criticism from a range of the party’s fanbase, with whom Kurten has become a favourite, and the support received has encouraged him to carry-on.
“Since last week, many members have written and spoken to me and encouraged me to continue as Education Spokesman,” Kurten told NMC, adding: “Given what the Government are doing at the moment with regards to education, I feel that UKIP needs a voice to challenge so I’ve decided to take the role up again.”
Asked how the situation arose with Bolton, Kurten said: “Henry and I met yesterday to discuss the role and policy development, and I’ve been assured that I’ll have a voice to ensure UKIP’s position on education will be heard.”
I will be continuing as UKIP Education Spokesman. pic.twitter.com/NfSlzwyhFV
— David Kurten ن (@davidkurten) October 25, 2017
Speaking to the official UKIP website, Bolton said: “By reappointing David into this role my top team nears completion. I am certain that David will continue in his sterling work both on the London Assembly where he has provided serious opposition to Sadiq Khan and in the education field where he will continue work on ensuring our children get the education, training and opportunities they deserve.”
Jack Oliver Smith is the Associate Editor of New Media Central. Follow him on Twitter @MisterJackSmith
- How to Fix NVIDIA Installer failed issue in Windows 10 How to Fix NVIDIA Installer failed issue in Windows 10 - May 26, 2018
- “I thought there was a law against him dying” – celebrating the life of Sir Roger Moore NMC's Associate Editor reflects on the actor and humanitarian's life, one year after his death, and how it shaped his own - May 23, 2018
- SMITH’S SOAPBOX: Dear Mainstream Media, report things fairly and then you won’t have an uprising on your hands Also: is the Labour Party's anti-Semitism problems going to cost them power? - May 10, 2018
- SMITH’S SOAPBOX: Diane Abbott – the most moronic politician in Britain? - April 30, 2018
- SMITH’S SOAPBOX: Korean leaders meet amid possible peace progress – and it’s all that Donald Trump’s fault Trump credited with Korea breakthrough | Trump supported by Kanye West | Trump to visit Britain | Lefties everywhere rage - April 28, 2018