Playing in their first major tournament finals, the Icelanders shocked England by coming from behind to claim a famous win.
Iceland’s population is around 330,000 – compared to over 53 million for England – but they defied their status as minnows to claim the most momentous victory in their history.
England took an early lead on four minutes through a Wayne Rooney penalty after Raheem Sterling was brought down in the box.
Iceland, however, leveled the score less than 60 seconds later when Ragnar Sigurdsson – who plays club football for Russian side FC Krasnodar – swept in at the back post following a flick-on from a long throw.
They then sensationally took the lead on 18 minutes when Kolbeinn Sigthorsson found space on the edge of the box and got a shot away, which England goalkeeper Joe Hart could only parry weakly into his own net.
- Waking Up The West Ep. 4 Patreon Edition - January 5, 2018
- The Patriarchy Show Episode 48 “Discussing the JQ, The Jersey Question” - January 5, 2018
- A Medical Emergency and a Family in Need Olga & Andy Medical Fund - December 15, 2017
- The Patriarchy Show Episode 47 “Control Your Guns” Guest Pat Dixon - December 15, 2017
- The Patriarchy Show Episode 46 “The Slav-ation of The West” Guests Orwell N' Goode & Question Most Things - December 8, 2017