Washington Times – About half of all Americans now live under sanctuary policies that shield illegal immigrants from law enforcement, according to the latest tally of jurisdictions that the Federation for American Immigration Reform is releasing Thursday.
FAIR calculates there were 564 states and municipalities that refuse some level of cooperation with federal immigration authorities as of April 1, up more than 200 since President Trump took office and up more than 500 compared with a decade ago. There were just 40 sanctuaries when President Obama took office.
Entire states such as California, Illinois and New York are now sanctuaries, as well as major cities and counties such as Fairfax, Montgomery and Prince George’s counties and the District of Columbia in the capital region, according to the list.
Combined, the sanctuaries on FAIR’s list cover 49 percent of the country’s population, The Washington Times calculated.
“This is just an astounding and a dramatic surge of sanctuary jurisdictions,” said Bob Dane, executive director at FAIR. “They’ve doubled in just two years, and if you game that out, if the exponential growth continues, it’s not going to be long before it’s accurate to say the U.S. is a sanctuary country.”
- FROM 2015: TRAITOR SENATORS TOOK MONEY FROM IRAN LOBBY, BACK IRAN NUKES The Democrats are becoming a party of atom bomb spies. - May 17, 2018
- Breaking: Shooting reported at California high school, sheriff says - May 11, 2018
- Half of all Americans now live in ‘sanctuaries’ protecting immigrants - May 11, 2018
- BREAKING: NY Attorney General Eric Schneiderman Resigns - May 8, 2018
- My Journey To New Hampshire - May 8, 2018