Former UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage has today visited the Ecuadorian embassy in Knightsbridge, London.
Mr Farage was seen leaving the building with Christian Mitchell, a producer from LBC, the radio station Mr Farage presents a four-nights-a-week call-in programme for, but refused to confirm to journalists upon his exit whether he was there to visit Wikileaks founder Julian Assange or not. When questioned, Mr Farage said was quoted as saying: “I never discuss where I go or who I see.”
Mr Assange has lived in political asylum at the Ecuadorian embassy since 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden where has been accused of sexual assault in 2010. Mr Farage has recently waded into the debate on President Trump’s comments, and subsequent conflicting media coverage, of the supposed crime waves in the Scandinavian country. The President, who is known to be a fan of Wikileaks, has met Mr Farage several times since his election victory and subsequent inauguration, and the former UKIP leader has been regarded as something of a confidant to the President in the media.
Mr Assange and the Wikileaks website has this week been in the news for publishing apparently documents purporting to show how the CIA are able to hack into various forms of technology, including smartphones and smart TVs.
Many media outlets are reporting that Mr Farage was there to conduct an interview with Mr Assange for LBC, but this has yet to be confirmed. On his show last night, Mr Farage said he would be presenting tonight’s edition from Brussels.
- SMITH: One year on, and UKIP still isn’t great again - October 28, 2017
- UK Independence Party Sport Spokesman to give university talk - October 26, 2017
- Kurten returns as UK Independence Party Education Spokesman The London AM tells NMC that members' support the reason for decision - October 25, 2017
- SMITH: The so-called British Broadcasting Corporation needs reform or else it will crumble - October 22, 2017
- Kurten absent as Bolton unveils UK Independence Party shadow cabinet Had been promised Deputy Leader role - October 18, 2017