UK Independence Party donor and Leave.EU co-founder Arron Banks has said that he has been suspended by the party.
Understand my UKIP membership has been suspended. Interesting times lie ahead …
— Arron Banks (@Arron_banks) March 14, 2017
In following Tweets, Mr Banks, in response to a user who suggested he start a new party, said: “UKIP 2.0, the force awakens…” and also wrote that his suspension was: “apparently for saying current leadership couldn’t knock the skin off a rice pudding”.
Mr Banks has previously said that he is willing to form a new movement, and has released a statement on Westmonster.com – a website he co-owns with Nigel Farage’s former Head of Communications, Michael Heaver – to this effect, saying:
“UKIP has somehow managed to allow my membership to lapse this year despite having given considerably more than the annual membership fee over the past 12 months.
“On reapplying I was told my membership was suspended pending my appearance at a NEC meeting.
“Apparently, my comments about the party being run like a squash club committee and Mr Carswell have not gone down well.
“I now realise I was being unfair to squash clubs all over the UK and I apologise to them.
“We will now be concentrating on our new movement.”
Mr Banks recently criticised what he described as “the Tory cabal” that he believes is running the party, and offered to become Party Chairman in an open letter to Paul Nuttall, the party’s leader.
- “UNCONSCIONABLE” – Krishna Maharaj’s 30-year battle for freedom NMC's Jack Oliver Smith speaks to human rights lawyer Clive Stafford-Smith about wrongly-imprisoned UK citizen - June 4, 2018
- How to Fix NVIDIA Installer failed issue in Windows 10 How to Fix NVIDIA Installer failed issue in Windows 10 - May 26, 2018
- “I thought there was a law against him dying” – celebrating the life of Sir Roger Moore NMC's Associate Editor reflects on the actor and humanitarian's life, one year after his death, and how it shaped his own - May 23, 2018
- SMITH’S SOAPBOX: Dear Mainstream Media, report things fairly and then you won’t have an uprising on your hands Also: is the Labour Party's anti-Semitism problems going to cost them power? - May 10, 2018
- SMITH’S SOAPBOX: Diane Abbott – the most moronic politician in Britain? - April 30, 2018