Daily Caller- President Donald Trump is set to announce a rollback of former President Barack Obama’s policies toward Cuba, The Daily Caller has learned.
Two sources told TheDC that the development is due to the behind-the-scenes efforts of Republican Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Democratic New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez and Republican Florida Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart.
This information coming from an anti-embargo group, which spoke on the condition of anonymity, was confirmed Sunday by John Kavulich of the nonpartisan U.S. – Cuba Trade and Economic Council. “The Trump Administration has been ‘ready’ since February 2017 to announce changes, but issues unrelated to Cuba have intervened,” Kavulich said.
Former President Obama worked to enact several changes to Cuban policy during his tenure in office. He ended the policy known as “wet foot, dry foot” that gave Cuban illegal immigrants a path to legal status, opened travel to the island nation, re-established diplomatic relations and loosened restrictions on doing business in the country.
These moves were applauded along bipartisan lines, but Cuban hardliners weren’t pleased. Trump himself has been on both sides of the issue. He told TheDC in 2015 that the “concept of opening with Cuba is fine,” but on the campaign trail he threatened to “terminate” deals that the Obama administration made with Cuba.
Continue at The Daily Caller
- Robert De Niro Rips Trump At Tribeca - April 19, 2018
- A Theory Regarding The Bombing of Syria 4/14/18, by Sal - April 15, 2018
- Booker Grills Pompeo While Hoping Folks Forget His Own Actions - April 12, 2018
- The Sandmen Are Here - April 9, 2018
- Liberals Forget Fast, Rush To Twitter To Defend Zachary Cruz Why Is CNN Showing Pity For Cruz In The First Place? - March 29, 2018